WEBINAR: Routes to Japan for UK fashion businesses
UKFT held a Virtual Roundtable discussion on Routes to Japan for UK fashion and textile businesses on 15 May 2020.
Japan is the UK’s third most important export market for fashion, textiles, accessories and footwear and is an especially important market for products designed and/or manufactured in the UK. The Japanese love British brands and products.
The Virtual Roundtable was chaired by UKFT’s International Business Director, Paul Alger MBE. Paul was joined by a number of key industry figures, including:
- Richard Craig, Managing Director of Margaret Howell, who has also worked with Henry Poole and Nigel Cabourn in Japan,
- Bill Leach, Global Sales Director of John Smedley,
- Alex Monroe, Founder of the eponymous jewellery brand Alex Monroe
- Sandra Duke, Head of Wholesale at Cambridge Satchel Company
- Nigel Lugg, Chairman of UKFT and former founder of Prominent Europe
- Kae Miyazawa of the British Embassy Tokyo
- Jim Pickles of DIT London and the South East
- Katsuhide Nakubo of Marubeni Europe, who is responsible for buying agent (import) business for select shops
- Naoshi Miyamoto of Itochu Europe, which works with brands including Paul Smith, Richard James and Laura Ashley
- Nicole Bargwanna, fashion consultant and CEO of CPR Tokyo, who works in PR and business development for brands including Smythson, Lulu Guinness and Goyard
UKFT is also planning a separate presentation on Joor at a later date as part of its online platform programme.
The panel know and understand the Japanese market very well and have been involved with the industry over many years. All of them have worked with UKFT before and have their own unique experience of how UK exporters can succeed in this market. The panel discusses routes to market for UK companies into Japan and how the market may change in response to the Covid-19 outbreak.
A recording of the webinar is available for UKFT members. Please contact email@example.com for the password.
Export is a fundamental part of UKFT’s activities, offering business advice and support to fashion and textile exporters with their business strategy. UKFT has everything you need to start and succeed on your export journey.