Home / Skills & Training / Apprenticeships / Funding for Apprenticeships

Funding for Apprenticeships in England

Each fashion and textile apprenticeship in England attracts its own level of funding.

For most companies in the fashion and textile sector the government will pay for 95% of the training costs with the employer responsible for paying the remaining 5%, plus employment costs.

However, companies that have a payroll in excess of £3million a year have to pay the Apprenticeship Levy. The Levy can then be spent on putting an apprentice through recognised courses.

The funding for fashion and textile apprenticeships start at £4,000 for Level 2 going up to £15,000 for Level 5. There is an additional payment for apprentices under the age of 19.

Funding bands for Apprenticeship Standards*

Apprenticeship Standard Level Maximum Funding
Footwear Manufacturer Level 2 £5,000
Leather Craftsperson Level 2 £5,000
Sewing Machinist Level 2 £4,000
Textile Care Services Operative Level 2 £4,000
Textile Manufacturing Operative Level 2 £4,000
Bespoke Saddler Level 3 £9,000
Fashion Studio Assistant Level 3 £8,000
Fashion & Textiles Pattern Cutter Level 3 £9,000
Textiles Technical Specialist Level 4 £9,000
Technical Dyer and Colourist Level 4 £9,000
Garment Maker Level 4 £10,000
Fashion & Textiles Product Technologist Level 4 £9,000
Bespoke Tailor & Cutter Level 5 £15,000
Materials Cutter Level 2 In development
Knitting Technician In development In development

*More information on these standards available here.

For up-to-date information please contact apprenticeships@ukft.org. 

UKFT offer an Apprenticeship Skills Analysis Service to fashion and textile businesses, more information here.

Funding for Apprenticeships in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland

Different funding arrangements apply for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

  • Scotland
    The Scottish government will provide a range of funding depending on the level of the apprenticeship and the age of the apprentice. More information can be found at Skills Development Scotland.If you’re an employer paying the apprenticeship levy in Scotland, you could apply for up to £10,000 towards the cost of training your workforce. More information can be found here.
  • Wales
    The Welsh government will provide a range of funding depending on the level of the apprenticeship and the age of the apprentice. More information can be found at Welsh Government and Careers Wales.
  • Northern Ireland
    More information about apprenticeships in Northern Ireland can be found at NIDirect.

If you’re an employer with operations in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, find out more about how apprenticeships work in your nation here.

For up-to-date information please contact apprenticeships@ukft.org. 

UKFT offer an Apprenticeship Skills Analysis Service to fashion and textile businesses, more information here.